Land Fronting Musbury Road
Emerging Development Proposal
- Demolition of redundant industrial buildings
- An Aldi discount foodstore (up to 2,000 sqm) with around 100 parking spaces
- A new vehicular access from Musbury Road.
- Houses fronting Musbury Road with separate new access
- Biodiversity enhancement zone and new landscaping opportunities
- New bus stops and opportunity for new pedestrian/cycle link through the retained estate
Key Planning Policy Issues can be viewed here
- Aldi is one of the fastest growing businesses in the UK today
- Aldi has more than 874 stores across the country and is expanding to meet strong customer demand
- Multi-award winner and UK's favourite supermarket according to Good Housekeeping
- Aldi's rate of pay are significantly higher than the Government's National Living Wage and also above the Living Wage Foundation's recommended national rates.
- Store Assistants receive a minimum hourly rate of £9.40 nationally.
- Aldi stores are modest scale supermarkets, not a 'one-stop-shop', so customers also visit other shops and services.
- A limited range of predominantly own-brand products - around 1800 lines compared to 40,000 lines in the larger stores.
Aldi also brings
- Redevelopment of a brownfield site
- A high quality, sustainable building
- Improved foodstore offer and social inclusion in the area
- Up to 40 jobs for local people
- Reduced need to travel for award-winning Aldi offer
- Re-purposing underutilised brownfield land
- Sustainable location within the Built Up Area
- Enhanced retail offer (Aldi foodstore) that will support a thriving and growing community
- Reinforces Axminster’s role as a self-contained town
- Net increase in jobs and job diversity
- Improved balance sheet for the carpet-making business
- Catalyst for wider estate regeneration and economic growth
- A small but valuable contribution to local housing needs
- Environmental and visual enhancements
- Embraces sustainable design/construction and energy efficiency